Friday, July 22, 2016

Condolence Cards

Our card ministry at church makes and sends cards to shut-ins and hospitalized folks every six-eight weeks.  It is a ministry I started about five years ago, and it is still going strong.  We also have a card rack in church, where we put birthday, thinking of you, sympathy, get well, and thank you cards.  People can take as many as they like, and we have coin envelopes there for them to make a monetary donation.  The money collected goes to purchase postage for the shut-in mailings, and for envelopes occasionally.

About two months ago, we also started making cards and sending them to people who have lost a loved one during the last year.  We send a card at the three month anniversary, and the one year anniversary of the death of a loved-one who has had a funeral from our church.   Usually, around three months is the time when visitors and callers slow down, and the loss is felt more strongly. 
The cards are usually thinking of you, or we're praying for you, or similar.  We write an appropriate sentiment on the inside, and sign it from our church's parishioners.  

Feedback on all the cards has been encouraging and positive.  I really enjoy being part of this ministry.  If you have any questions about our ministry, drop me a note and I will answer your questions.  If you think you might like to start a ministry like this, I will fill you in on how I got started.

We have a set amount of cards we each make each month, however, a couple of the girls in the group make extra cards for the ministry quite often.  Arlene, who worked with me to help get this ministry started way back when,  just finished making 100 Christmas cards for the shut ins for December, and another 100 for this month's shut-in mailing!  Yesterday, my friend Karen and I made cards to send to the people who have had losses, for the ministry.  Here is a sampling of what we made.....
Karen's cards...

My cards....
 We each made several of each color of our cards.  Now I just have to sign them and get them out in the mail!

So, I chose one of my cards for Day 17 of The Daily Marker 30 Day Color Challenge. ....
 I started with a white card base with a top fold.  I spattered it with distress ink, stamped the Remembering verse (Flourishes), used my Clarity brushed to add a bit of color around the verse.  Then I stamped some matching card stock (Penny Black) and adhered it along the left side.  I stamped the flower and leaves (Impression-Obsession) with distress inks, added some Penny Black stamps lightly, spattered it, brushed it with ink, and attached it to the card.  The die cut is Spellbinders, and I used the negative area, raising it up with foam tape to draw interest to the main image.

I kept it simple, with no embellishments.  I felt it had enough going on.

I was hoping to get another card done today, to catch up with the challenge.  But, it is so very hot here today, and my room is extremely uncomfortable.  Perhaps I will make one later, if it cools down at all tonight. 

Thank you for stopping in today.  I hope you are keeping cool, and have a comfortable place to play.  

Blessings,

lynda



1 comment:

  1. Love your card, but especially love your card ministry! What a very thoughtful way to let people know that the loss of their loved ones is not forgotten. I know when I lost my parents that I felt like no one really cared after the initial outpouring of sentiments was over. Bless you and your card making members!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed and appreciated!